You SHOULD know this, because it is INCREDIBLY important and something that wasn’t acknowledged until very, VERY recently.
(I did a history project on this in Y9. We got to do something from the 20th century; everyone else did, like, Marilyn Monroe, and I read a translation of Moi, Pierre Seel, déporté homosexuel and then did my project on that. Cheerful, no, but important to know about, yes.)
In 1950, East Germany abolished Nazi amendments to Paragraph 175, whereas West Germany kept them and even had them confirmed by its Constitutional Court.
Well, that’s horrifying.
Oh my god
Homosexual concentration camp prisoners were not acknowledged as victims of Nazi persecution. Reparations and state pensions available to other groups were refused to gay men, who were still classified as criminals — the Nazi anti-gay law was not repealed until 1994, although both East and West Germany liberalized their criminallaws against adult homosexuality in the late 1960s.
“Gay Holocaust” survivors could be re-imprisoned for “repeat offences”, and were kept on the modern lists of “sex offenders”. Under the Allied Military Government of Germany, some homosexuals were forced to serve out their terms of imprisonment, regardless of the time spent in concentration camps. (X)
Also worth mentioning that homosexuals are still largely unacknowledged as victims of the Holocaust even within circles where they should know better. For example, in the Holocaust Museum in DC and Yad Vashem in Jerusalem, gay deaths are acknowledged only in passing and there is not a single picture of a “man of the pink triangle” - only of an empty ballroom that had once held a gay dance club. When Yad Vashem was completely redone in 2005, gay groups pressed for inclusion alongside other non-Jewish groups such as the disabled, Roma, etc., and numerous senior-level officials and the Rabbinate condemned such requests for inclusion, with some going so far as to suggest that the homosexuals were German criminals and therefore did not belong in the same category as the Jews who had done nothing wrong. When the memorial to gays in the Holocaust was unveiled in Berlin four years ago, senior members of Yad Vashem condemned it and, in particular, its proximity to the memorial for Jewish victims of the Shoah.
this planet shouldn’t be allowed to exist any longer
This is important. Of all the WWII history I learned in school, this was never once mentioned.
Oh my GOD.
This SERIOUSLY pissed me off when I visited the Holocaust Museum in DC. There was some information about the persecution of gay men, but it felt like it was purposefully somewhat hidden, and I don’t remember seeing any pictures of pink triangles anywhere.
- syno-shen likes this
- emshi21 reblogged this from slothlifechoseme
- emshi21 likes this
- i-8sumpi reblogged this from justgenesis
- i-8sumpi likes this
- beary-nice-day likes this
- justgenesis reblogged this from slothlifechoseme
- slothlifechoseme reblogged this from feelingsarentpunkrock
- psychotic-correlation reblogged this from wisepuma23
- randompedestrian14 reblogged this from wisepuma23
- thewomantheangelthegirlwhowaited reblogged this from wisepuma23
- n1k1takhrushchev reblogged this from ashynarr
- n1k1takhrushchev likes this
- loves-space likes this
- wisepuma23 reblogged this from ashynarr
- wisepuma23 likes this
- fromseatoseatosea likes this
- ashynarr reblogged this from panoramiccc
- catfried reblogged this from simply-satan
- sentientblueberry likes this
- talesofdrunkennessandcruelty likes this
- alexxscreamslove reblogged this from simply-satan
- alexxscreamslove likes this
- supremecaptainajack reblogged this from shitthatnobodycaresabout
- shitthatnobodycaresabout reblogged this from feelingsarentpunkrock
- cumscum likes this
- robotallikat reblogged this from tegandunlop
- slothlifechoseme likes this
- reynes-of-castomere likes this
- reynes-of-castomere reblogged this from feelingsarentpunkrock
- pancakethursday reblogged this from agirlforeverlostinwonderland
- pancakethursday likes this
- bootyelixir reblogged this from feelingsarentpunkrock
- agirlforeverlostinwonderland reblogged this from feelingsarentpunkrock
- feelingsarentpunkrock reblogged this from an-inconvenience
- feelingsarentpunkrock likes this
- just-lara reblogged this from fishmad122 and added:
- just-lara likes this
- fishmad122 reblogged this from chasingjimmysstallionducks
- microwavezeebras reblogged this from an-inconvenience
- tegandunlop reblogged this from rightsoftheminority
- simply-satan reblogged this from rightsoftheminority
- hypothermia02 likes this
- rightsoftheminority reblogged this from chasingjimmysstallionducks
- chasingjimmysstallionducks reblogged this from an-inconvenience
- donnieclarko likes this
- phanxious likes this
- an-inconvenience reblogged this from capricornsunlight
- mwahahachoke reblogged this from v56e
- v56e reblogged this from frandrogynous